Business Fundamentals: Project Management
In this online course from The Open University you will learn about:
- Project management
- Project lifecycles
Disclosure: We are compensated for recommending courses offered through Future Learn that you purchase (at no extra cost to you). Based on the quality of Future Learn courses, we have not reviewed or tested any of the courses.
Duration: 3 weeks
Weekly study: 4 hours
This course is part of the Business and Finance Fundamentals and Business Fundamentals programs, which will enable you to master this subject in depth.
Visualise, plan, manage and evaluate projects successfully
Whatever the type or scale of your project, delivering great results, on time and budget, is always a challenge.
This online course introduces you to the essential skills and processes that support successful project management and helps you apply them to your own context.
While other project management courses propose complex methods and techniques, this course will give you the skill-set to play an active role in a project environment right away.
You will also gain confidence with project document templates in Word, Excel and Powerpoint, as well as some web tools for project management.
What topics will you cover?
- Project management definition
- Project lifecycle
- Initiation phase: scope and objectives definition, project stakeholders analysis
- Planning phase: Work Breakdown Structure, Gantt diagram, project budget, project team creation, project risk assessment, the Critical Path Method
- Execution phase: kick-off meeting, project monitoring and control, project team meetings, earned value analysis, project team motivation, evaluation and incentives
- Closure phase: project review and learning from closed projects
IMPORTANT! If you are aiming to use your study of courses in the Business and Finance Fundamentals program to obtain academic credit, please be aware that the final planned presentation of the Open University Assessment Course BXM191 Business and Finance Fundamentals in Practice starts October 2020. Please ensure that you allow yourself enough time to obtain all eight Certificates of Achievement from courses in the program before registering for the Assessment Course.
Who is this accredited by?
EOCCS: This course is accredited by EOCCS, the first international quality benchmark for online courses in business and management education.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Describe the main aspects of each phase of the project lifecycle.
- Identify models and templates to assist project management.
- Apply principles and techniques of effective project management.
- Develop time management, prioritisation, communication, and team management skills.
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at those already or likely to be involved in projects whether professional or personal. It assumes no prior project management or business knowledge, though an interest in the topic would be beneficial. Whether you’re at the start of your career and need an introduction to the subject, or you’ve been managing projects for years and are seeking to reflect on your experiences, you will get a lot out of this formal, yet practice-oriented, learning experience.
For further information about registration, the final assessment course, your eligibility and the BA in Business Management, visit the Open University website.
This course is supported by the Association for Project Management (APM), the chartered body for the project profession. APM is committed to developing and promoting project and programme management through its Five Dimensions of Professionalism.
What do people say about this course?
“This course is outstanding in almost every aspect. For me, it was like a journey and a great experience with a lot of invaluable insights and knowledge gaining.”
Dr. Khalid Dhima
“Thank you, everyone, lead educator, mentors, and fellow participants, for an excellent course. My objective at the commencement of the programme was to improve my knowledge of project management and this was done. I particularly enjoyed learning about the online tools which were available to aid and improve the efficiency of project management. I do look forward to additional programmes by Futurelearn on this topic. Congratulations to the Open University and FutureLearn for an excellent job.”
Who will you learn with?
Who developed the course?
- Project Management
- Risk Management
- Information and Communications
- Operations Management
UNDERSTAND ONLINE SECURITYIn this online course from The Open University you will learn about: Online security Protecting your digital life Recognising threats The course was supported by the UK Government’s National Cyber Security Programme, is GCHQ Certified Training and IISP accredited. Disclosure: We are compensated for recommending courses offered through Future Learn that you purchase (at no extra cost to you). Based on the quality of Future Learn courses, we have not reviewed or tested any of the courses.
- Functions of Marketing
- Market Segmentation
- Using Customer Data
- Customer Satisfaction
- Ethics in Market Segmentation
- Social media channels
- Social media auditing
- Owned, earned and paid media
- Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Google Analytics
- Reporting techniques
- Supply Chain Management
- Competitive Advantage
- The Back Skills Training (BeST) programme
- The cognitive behavioural approach
Learn how to find and keep your dream job.In this short course you will learn how to:
- Search, network and apply for a job
- Write a good resume
- Make a good impression in your interview
- What to say in your interview
- Overcome colleague conflict
- Communicate with others in the workplace
- Marketing and Selling
- Customer Relationship Management,
- Customer Information Systems
- Digital Selling
- Historical development of the financial services
- The financial crisis
- Financial products
- Financial regulations
- Consumer protection
- Mobile marketing strategies
- Success indicators
- Paid media
- Social media
- Advertising returns on investment
- Google tracking and analytics
Mathematics for Teachers15 SACE Professional Development (PD) points In this online course from St Augustine College you will learn about:
- Four broad key mathematical concepts:
- The historical perspective of each concept, aligned to the Curriculum and Policy Statement (CAPS) for Mathematics of the National Curriculum Statement (NCS) for Grades R-12.
- Effective communication skills
- Online communication
- Productive meeting skills
- Communication trends
- Financial planning
- Financial decision making
- Insurance products