Cognitive Behavioural Skills to Treat Back Pain
In this online course from The University of Oxford you will learn about:
- The Back Skills Training (BeST) programme
- The cognitive behavioural approach
Disclosure: We are compensated for recommending courses offered through Future Learn that you purchase (at no extra cost to you). Based on the quality of Future Learn courses, we have not reviewed or tested any of the courses.
Email to a friend
Duration: 6 Weeks
Weekly study: 2 hours
Understand a cognitive behavioural approach to manage ongoing low back pain
The Back Skills Training (BeST) programme focuses on ‘undoing’ beliefs about low back pain, as well as provide skills to become more active, despite pain. This programme was developed by experts in psychology, physiotherapy, cognitive-behavioural therapy, as well as people with long-standing low back pain. According to a rigorous clinical trial, the BeST programme produces long term reductions in people’s pain as well as disability and is a very cost effective treatment.
On this course you will explore the BeST programme, examining the causes of persistent low back pain, as well as the cognitive behavioural approach.
What topics will you cover?
- The nature as well as the cause of persistent low back pain.
- Cognitive behavioural approach.
- Exercise as well as activity for low back pain.
- How thoughts as well as feelings can influence pain.
- As well as pain management skills.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
Apply a cognitive behavioural approach to effectively help people better manage persistent low back pain.
Lead a group back skills training (BeST) programme in your clinical setting.
Reflect on how to implement these techniques in clinical practice.
Demonstrate understanding of a cognitive behavioural approach to managing persistent low back pain.
Who is the course for?
This course is approved by the British Psychological Society for the purposes of Continuing Professional Development for healthcare professionals. It is designed for healthcare professionals with a role or interest in managing patients with low back pain (including nurses, occupational therapists, physiotherapists as well as psychological therapists).
And will also be useful for students training to become healthcare professionals. The Certificate of Achievement for this course would be useful for providing evidence of CPD.
What do people say about this course?
“The BeST training sets you apart from other clinicians by coaching you step by step on how to deliver cognitive-behavioural elements in your clinical practice.”
Senior NHS Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist.
“As clinicians we can be didactic and tell people what to do, whereas my take on the BeST programme was trying to get participants onto a self discovery journey really with their back pain.”
Therapist reflecting on the Back Skills Training Programme
Who will you learn with?
Pippa is a physiotherapist as well as a researcher at the University of Oxford, focusing on the management of musculoskeletal conditions which affect older people.
Esther is a physiotherapist as well as a researcher at the University of Oxford. She is Deputy-Director of the Centre for Rehabilitation Research.
Beth Fordham is a health psychology researcher. She aims to use psychological theory as well as practice to improve quality of life in physical as well as mental health conditions.
Zara is a physiotherapist as well as a cognitive behavioural therapist. She integrates the two professions through her research, clinical, as well as teaching work.
Who developed the course?
Oxford is the oldest university in the English-speaking world. It has been at the forefront of understanding the world – as well as shaping it – for centuries.
Mathematics for Teachers15 SACE Professional Development (PD) points In this online course from St Augustine College you will learn about:
- Four broad key mathematical concepts:
- The historical perspective of each concept, aligned to the Curriculum and Policy Statement (CAPS) for Mathematics of the National Curriculum Statement (NCS) for Grades R-12.
- Functions of Marketing
- Market Segmentation
- Using Customer Data
- Customer Satisfaction
- Ethics in Market Segmentation
- Marketing and Selling
- Customer Relationship Management,
- Customer Information Systems
- Digital Selling
- Analysing social and digital media
- Social media channels
- Social media auditing
- Owned, earned and paid media
- Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Google Analytics
- Reporting techniques
- Paid media
- Social media
- Advertising returns on investment
- Google tracking and analytics
CPD Course for AccountantsIn this online course from St Augustine College you will learn about:
- What is ethics?
- Ethical behaviour
- Normative ethics
- Justice and caring
- Ethical decision making
- SAICA codes of ethics
- Interpersonal skills
- Online communication
- Digital networking
- Effective communication skills
- Online communication
- Productive meeting skills
- Communication trends
- Project management
- Project lifecycles
- Financial planning
- Financial decision making
- Insurance products
- Investment planning and decision making
- Investment theories
- Historical development of the financial services
- The financial crisis
- Financial products
- Financial regulations
- Consumer protection
- Taking your course online - LIVE DEMO
- Leading change: implementing prescribed teaching and learning guidelines in online teaching for TVET colleges
- Growing student reach through digital marketing
- Improving student retention and success