Cognitive Behavioural Skills to Treat Back Pain
In this online course from The University of Oxford you will learn about:
- The Back Skills Training (BeST) programme
- The cognitive behavioural approach
Disclosure: We are compensated for recommending courses offered through Future Learn that you purchase (at no extra cost to you). Based on the quality of Future Learn courses, we have not reviewed or tested any of the courses.
Duration: 6 Weeks
Weekly study: 2 hours
Understand a cognitive behavioural approach to manage ongoing low back pain
The Back Skills Training (BeST) programme focuses on ‘undoing’ beliefs about low back pain, and provides skills to become more active, despite pain. The programme was developed by experts in psychology, physiotherapy, cognitive-behavioural therapy, and people with long-standing low back pain. According to a rigorous clinical trial, the BeST programme produces long term reductions in people’s pain and disability and is a very cost effective treatment.
On this course you will explore the BeST programme, examining the causes of persistent low back pain, and the cognitive behavioural approach.
What topics will you cover?
- The nature and cause of persistent low back pain.
- The cognitive behavioural approach.
- Exercise and activity for low back pain.
- How thoughts and feelings can influence pain.
- Pain management skills.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
Apply a cognitive behavioural approach to effectively help people better manage persistent low back pain.
Lead a group back skills training (BeST) programme in your clinical setting.
Reflect on how to implement these techniques in clinical practice.
Demonstrate understanding of a cognitive behavioural approach to managing persistent low back pain.
Who is the course for?
This course is approved by the British Psychological Society for the purposes of Continuing Professional Development for healthcare professionals. It is designed for healthcare professionals with a role or interest in managing patients with low back pain (including nurses, occupational therapists, physiotherapists and psychological therapists).
It will also be useful for students training to become healthcare professionals. The Certificate of Achievement for this course would be useful for providing evidence of CPD.
What do people say about this course?
“The BeST training sets you apart from other clinicians by coaching you step by step on how to deliver cognitive-behavioural elements in your clinical practice.”
Senior NHS Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist.
“As clinicians we can be didactic and tell people what to do, whereas my take on the BeST programme was trying to get participants onto a self discovery journey really with their back pain.”
Therapist reflecting on the Back Skills Training Programme
Who will you learn with?
Pippa is a physiotherapist and researcher at the University of Oxford, focusing on the management of musculoskeletal conditions which affect older people.
Esther is a physiotherapist and researcher at the University of Oxford. She is Deputy-Director of the Centre for Rehabilitation Research.
Beth Fordham is a health psychology researcher. Beth aims to use psychological theory and practice to improve quality of life in physical and mental health conditions.
Zara is a physiotherapist and a cognitive behavioural therapist. She integrates the two professions through her research, clinical, and teaching work.
Who developed the course?
Oxford is the oldest university in the English-speaking world. It has been at the forefront of understanding the world – and shaping it – for centuries.
- Functions of Marketing
- Market Segmentation
- Using Customer Data
- Customer Satisfaction
- Ethics in Market Segmentation
- Analysing social and digital media
- Interpersonal skills
- Online communication
- Digital networking
- Mobile marketing strategies
- Success indicators
- Supply Chain Management
- Competitive Advantage
Mathematics for Teachers15 SACE Professional Development (PD) points In this online course from St Augustine College you will learn about:
- Four broad key mathematical concepts:
- The historical perspective of each concept, aligned to the Curriculum and Policy Statement (CAPS) for Mathematics of the National Curriculum Statement (NCS) for Grades R-12.
- Marketing and Selling
- Customer Relationship Management,
- Customer Information Systems
- Digital Selling
Learn how to find and keep your dream job.In this short course you will learn how to:
- Search, network and apply for a job
- Write a good resume
- Make a good impression in your interview
- What to say in your interview
- Overcome colleague conflict
- Communicate with others in the workplace
- Project Management
- Risk Management
- Information and Communications
- Operations Management
CPD Course for AccountantsIn this online course from St Augustine College you will learn about:
- What is ethics?
- Ethical behaviour
- Normative ethics
- Justice and caring
- Ethical decision making
- SAICA codes of ethics
- Taking your course online - LIVE DEMO
- Leading change: implementing prescribed teaching and learning guidelines in online teaching for TVET colleges
- Growing student reach through digital marketing
- Improving student retention and success
Improve your computer skills, becoming faster and smarter on the computer.In this short course you will learn how to:
- Understand the principles of responsible digital citizenship
- Conduct online research
- Correctly organise your files
- Protect your online personal information
- Move beyond the basics of computer proficiency
- Belief construction
- Logical and critical thinking
- Types of arguments
- Effective thinking