The Digital Economy: Selling Through Customer Insight
In this online course from The Open University you will learn about:
- Marketing and Selling
- Customer Relationship Management,
- Customer Information Systems
- Digital Selling
Duration: 4 weeks
Weekly study: 3 hours
This course is part of The Digital Economy program, which will enable you to thrive in the digital economy and earn 15 credits towards an MBA.
Build a holistic view of your customers
No matter how sophisticated your marketing is, if it doesn’t result in attracting customers, your business is set to fail.
This online course applies fresh thinking to how marketing and selling activities combine to create customers who keep coming back.
You will develop an understanding of how customer relationship management breeds business development success; critically evaluate accepted wisdom on how marketing influences customers; and learn how marketers increasingly draw on powerful information systems to build a holistic view of customers.
What topics will you cover?
- How technologies such as big data, the cloud and open-source are driving the digital economy.
- Insight in the context of sales.
- How customer insight is enabled by the digital economy.
- Tools and technologies that enable businesses to use big data to access and deliver value.
- How digital engagement works, and the importance of personalisation.
- How the move to digital selling is being enacted across the globe.
- Key trends in the digital economy and the impact on customer insight.
IMPORTANT! If you are aiming to use your study of courses in the Digital Economy program to obtain academic credit, please be aware that the final planned presentation of the Open University Assessment Course BXM871 Managing in the Digital Economy starts July 2020. Please ensure that you allow yourself enough time to obtain all four Certificates of Achievement from courses in the program before registering for the Assessment Course.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
Demonstrate knowledge and critical understanding of how customers behave in the digital economy and describe the role of information systems in creating customer insight.
Explore and conduct theoretically-informed analysis of decision making in consumer and organisational markets and assess digital marketing communications against research-based criteria.
Apply exchange theory to a range of different business models to create mutual benefit for suppliers and buyers.
Apply and use insight-driven selling to improve performance, and engage with relevant ethical issues driven by the digital economy.
Who is the course for?
This course is intended for anyone who wants to learn about attracting and retaining customers. No previous experience of studying sales or marketing is required, but some basic knowledge of how businesses work would be beneficial.
Find further information about OU registration, the assessment module and MBA in the entry requirements.
Who will you learn with?
Hilary is a strategic design academic with research interests in the economic and cultural role of the creative industries. She teaches OU courses in Strategy and Design Thinking.
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
Learn how to find and keep your dream job.In this short course you will learn how to:
- Search, network and apply for a job
- Write a good resume
- Make a good impression in your interview
- What to say in your interview
- Overcome colleague conflict
- Communicate with others in the workplace
Improve your computer skills, becoming faster and smarter on the computer.In this short course you will learn how to:
- Understand the principles of responsible digital citizenship
- Conduct online research
- Correctly organise your files
- Protect your online personal information
- Move beyond the basics of computer proficiency
- Functions of Marketing
- Market Segmentation
- Using Customer Data
- Customer Satisfaction
- Ethics in Market Segmentation
UNDERSTAND ONLINE SECURITYIn this online course from The Open University you will learn about: Online security Protecting your digital life Recognising threats The course was supported by the UK Government’s National Cyber Security Programme, is GCHQ Certified Training and IISP accredited.
- Project Management
- Risk Management
- Information and Communications
- Operations Management