The Digital Economy: Finance for Business Growth
In this online course from The Open University you will learn about:
- Cash Management
- Funding strategies
- Different types of finance
- Using Finance
Disclosure: We are compensated for recommending courses offered through Future Learn that you purchase (at no extra cost to you). Based on the quality of Future Learn courses, we have not reviewed or tested any of the courses.
Course Duration: 4 weeks
Weekly study: 3 hours
This course is part of The Digital Economy program, which will enable you to thrive in the digital economy and earn 15 credits towards an MBA.
Evaluate how to fund your business investment
Every business needs cash to grow and develop. Some can find enough cash from their operations. Others might need external sources of finance, like a bank loan. So how does a business make robust decisions about borrowing?
Whether you are in a micro business, a small to medium-sized organisation, or a large firm, this online course will guide you through finance options.
You will consider traditional and alternative finance options; evaluate what type of funding is suitable for your business; and develop a financial statement and funding strategy, to make the right decision.
What topics will you cover?
- Assess the role of cash management in business and the relationship between cash management and business performance.
- Consider the benefits and drawbacks of different sources of finance.
- Understand the relevance of liquidity and solvency when managing a business.
- Evaluate the role of cash flow forecasting and assess future cash requirements.
- Understand the risks, benefits and drawbacks of different types of funding.
- Decide on a suitable type of funding and assess risk-return issues.
- Assess how and why alternative finance activities, such as crowdfunding, have evolved.
- Assess the benefits and risks of alternative finance for business borrowers.
- Evaluate the use of equity funding, both private and public equity issues.
- Assess the role of private equity, and the benefits offered by different types of private equity for funding business growth.
- Explore behavioural finance issues in investment decision-making.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
Assess borrowing requirements and develop a strategy for your business finance needs.
Assess and critique finance available to your business, both traditional and newer sources, such as crowd funding.
Apply and consider the role of traditional sources of finance, i.e. debt and equity, as well as alternative finance options, such as crowdfunding and peer-to-peer lending.
Collect and learn to use a cash flow forecast to help you make decisions about managing business cash.
Assess the risks, benefits and drawbacks of different types of debt.
Evaluate funding opportunities for business growth and development.
Record and learn to use financial statements to assess the financial health of a business.
Investigate and find out how you can develop a funding strategy and make the right decision about the type of borrowing for your business.
Who is the course for?
This course is intended for those with an interest in developing their financial skills to make robust decisions when managing business finance. The course does not require any previous experience of this subject. Find further information about OU registration, the assessment module and MBA in the entry requirements.
What do people say about this course?
“The Digital Economy: Finance for Business Growth is one course by the Open University which l cherish very much, and which l will forever treasure. I have learnt a lot of terminologies under business and finance/accounting. Thanks to the lead educator and her team of facilitators.”
Who will you learn with?
Dr Jane Hughes is a lecturer in accounting and finance at the Open University. She is a professional accountant, with over twenty years of business experience in both corporate and financial services.
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
- Financial planning
- Financial decision making
- Insurance products
- Historical development of the financial services
- The financial crisis
- Financial products
- Financial regulations
- Consumer protection
- Analysing social and digital media
- Mobile marketing strategies
- Success indicators
- Project management
- Project lifecycles
CPD Course for AccountantsIn this online course from St Augustine College you will learn about:
- What is ethics?
- Ethical behaviour
- Normative ethics
- Justice and caring
- Ethical decision making
- SAICA codes of ethics
- Investment planning and decision making
- Investment theories
Learn how to find and keep your dream job.In this short course you will learn how to:
- Search, network and apply for a job
- Write a good resume
- Make a good impression in your interview
- What to say in your interview
- Overcome colleague conflict
- Communicate with others in the workplace
- Developing a research plan
- Market research
- Social media data
UNDERSTAND ONLINE SECURITYIn this online course from The Open University you will learn about: Online security Protecting your digital life Recognising threats The course was supported by the UK Government’s National Cyber Security Programme, is GCHQ Certified Training and IISP accredited. Disclosure: We are compensated for recommending courses offered through Future Learn that you purchase (at no extra cost to you). Based on the quality of Future Learn courses, we have not reviewed or tested any of the courses.
- Social media channels
- Social media auditing
- Owned, earned and paid media
- Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Google Analytics
- Reporting techniques
Improve your computer skills, becoming faster and smarter on the computer.In this short course you will learn how to:
- Understand the principles of responsible digital citizenship
- Conduct online research
- Correctly organise your files
- Protect your online personal information
- Move beyond the basics of computer proficiency
- Effective communication skills
- Online communication
- Productive meeting skills
- Communication trends